Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday

Psalm 118:1-9

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Let Israel say:

"His love endures forever."
Let the house of Aaron say:

"His love endures forever."
Let those who fear the LORD say:

"His love endures forever."
In my anguish I cried to the LORD,

and he answered by setting me free.
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.

What can man do to me?
The LORD is with me; he is my helper.

I will look in triumph on my enemies.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD

than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD

than to trust in princes.

During the first World War, my grandparents decided to leave their home and flee to Turin. Their hometown and all that part of Italy was under the Austrian-Hungarian empire, which meant that sooner or later my grandfather would have been conscripted by the Austrian army and forced to go to war against his fellow Italians. Even though my grandparents knew it was dangerous to run away, (soldiers were patrolling the trains all the time), they had faith that God was going to protect them.

When soldiers checked the train compartment where they were sitting, they carefully looked at everyone, including my grandfather, and then left without a word. My grandfather often declared afterward he believed that God had made the soldiers see his unmistakably black beard as if it were the white one of an old man. God had indeed saved them all.

This Psalm reminds us that God is always able and willing to protect us, save us, and bless us. This is such a wonderful song of joy at His deliverance, and it is a promise that we can rediscover every time we are scared and worried or anguished and lost.

God is indeed good.
DV

No comments:

Post a Comment